On Wednesday, August 9, 2023, leaker Unknownz21 dropped major insights about Apple’s upcoming A17 chip set to be used in the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max.
Apple A17 – t8130 – Coll
6 CPU Cores + 6 GPU Cores
6GB LPDDR5 DRAM – Micron/Samsung
TSMC 3nm Process
LPDDR = Low Power Double Data Rate SDRAM
The A17 is used by both the D83 and D84, also likely planned for D47 and D48 (16 series), as the D9x will use t8140 (A18).
— Unknownz21 🌈 (@URedditor) August 9, 2023
Here’s everything we’ve gathered about this next-generation chip and what it could mean for the iPhone’s future.
A17 Chip: GPU and CPU Cores
The A17 chip is expected to feature a 6-core CPU and a 6-core GPU, a significant upgrade in terms of GPU performance. The current A16 chip has a 6-core CPU and a 5-core GPU, which indicates a potential increase in graphical prowess for the newer models.
Clock Rate and RAM
The A17 chip will clock at a maximum rate of 3.70GHz, up from 3.46GHz in the A16 chip. One of the more surprising revelations is that the iPhone 15 Pro models will feature the same 6GB RAM that’s available in the iPhone 14 Pro models. Earlier rumors suggested 8GB RAM, but according to Unknownz21, this is “unlikely” though not entirely off the table.
Built on a 3-Nanometer Process
Perhaps the most significant detail is that the A17 chip will be built on a 3-nanometer process, a step forward from the 4-nanometer process of the A16 chip. This could lead to improvements in both speed and efficiency for the iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max. Performance could increase by 10 to 15 percent, and power consumption could be down by up to 30 percent.
The news stirred mixed feelings among tech enthusiasts. Some expressed disappointment at the absence of 8GB RAM, while others appreciated the focus on core power and efficiency.
- On MacRumors, user phill85 lamented the lack of RAM, even suggesting it’s a reason to hold off on upgrading.
- Twitter user @ElGreckoe96 questioned Apple’s decision not to go for an 8-core CPU/GPU, but @URedditor pointed out that the 6/6 combination might be more energy-efficient.
- The 3-nanometer process impressed users like @vvaiibhav, who expressed enthusiasm for this cutting-edge technology.
Other Rumored Features of iPhone 15
Beyond the chip, the iPhone 15 series is expected to come with several major changes:
- USB-C Port: A long-awaited switch from the Lightning port since the iPhone 5.
- No Notch Design: Adoption of the pill-and-hole cutout, providing a more modern look.
- Improved Cameras: Including a 48-megapixel main sensor and potential periscope zoom lens in the Pro models.
- New Design: Thinner bezels and a flatter-looking back in the Pro models for a more premium appearance.
Apple’s decision to create a 3-nanometer chip speaks to a commitment to innovation, potentially driving significant gains in efficiency and performance. However, the leak also reveals areas where the tech giant might not meet some fans’ expectations, especially in terms of RAM.
The September 12th expected launch date is fast approaching, and the iPhone 15 Pro’s A17 chip will undoubtedly be one of the most scrutinized elements. It may define not only this generation of iPhones but also influence the direction of mobile computing in the near future.
What is beyond doubt is that these leaks have set the stage for intense debate and anticipation. While some see incremental changes that may not justify an immediate upgrade, others recognize potential breakthroughs that might keep Apple at the forefront of smartphone technology. How these details translate into real-world performance and consumer satisfaction will ultimately be revealed in the final product.