Several owners of Surface Pro X have reported that their built-in camera stopped working suddenly yesterday (May 23rd). This is a widespread software issue. Microsoft has acknowledged the issue and is working on a fix for the same. Users are not advised to do a system reset, since it won’t solve the problem.
There is a temporary workaround for this issue. You can change your system date to something before May 23rd to make the camera work again. Follow the steps below to change your time on Surface Pro X.
- Open Settings > Time & Language > Date & Time
- In Date & Time Settings, click change the switch beside “Set Time Automatically” to Off.
- Below that, locate the “Set the date and time manually” option and click “Change”.
- A “Change Date and Time” window will appear.
- Use the drop-down menus to set the desired date and time, then click “Change”.
- Change the date and time to a month ago or some date before May 23rd.
If you get the following error when you open your camera app on Surface Pro X, then follow the above procedure as a temporary workaround.
Something went wrong. If you need it, here’s the error code: 0xA00F4271 (0x80004005)