As the gaming industry progresses, the importance of accessibility features becomes increasingly significant. Turn 10 Studios has taken a massive leap forward in this regard with the upcoming release of Forza Motorsport. This latest iteration of the popular racing game series boasts an array of new and innovative accessibility features that make it the most inclusive Forza Motorsport game ever.
Blind Driving Assists
One of the most groundbreaking features in the new Forza Motorsport is the Blind Driving Assists (BDA). This feature set, designed specifically for blind or low vision players, provides supplemental audio cues to help navigate the tracks. Developed with input from blind gamer and accessibility consultant Brandon Cole, the BDA system offers detailed descriptions and audio previews for players to familiarize themselves with before hitting the track.
Once players understand the various audio cues, they can make informed driving decisions based on their position, orientation, approach, and progress through turns. Although it may have a learning curve, this set of features can be a game-changer for blind and low vision players.
One Touch Driving
Forza Motorsport also introduces One Touch Driving, enabling players to race with any combination of inputs they need. This feature was developed in collaboration with Xbox User Research and players with mobility and stamina disabilities. By offering options such as automatic shifting, enhanced steering and braking assists, and all-new throttle and pit entry assists, players can create a personalized experience that suits their needs.
Another significant addition to Forza Motorsport is a customizable screen narration solution. Players can adjust volume, pitch, speed, and narrator voice to suit their preferences. The system also offers new settings for controlling verbosity, allowing players to avoid information overload and make adjustments as they become more familiar with the game.
Additional Accessibility Features
Forza Motorsport boasts numerous other accessibility features, including:
- Dynamic Audio Description: Custom audio descriptions for in-game cinematics that change based on time of day and weather conditions.
- Text-to-Speech/Speech-to-Text: Options to participate in multiplayer voice chat using synthesized voice or view incoming communication in text form.
- UI Colorblindness Modes and World Colorblindness Filters: Customizable color options for players with tritanopia, deuteranopia, or protanopia.
- Controller Remapping: Remappable gameplay controls for added flexibility.
- Subtitles: Adjustable font size and background opacity for subtitles.
- Audio Customization Settings: Independently customizable volume levels for different groups of sounds.
- Opponent Difficulty: Customizable opponent driving levels for AI races.
- Text Scaling and Contrast: Adjustable menu text scaling and contrast ratios for improved readability.
- Moving Backgrounds: Option to disable moving backgrounds for easier menu navigation.
Turn 10 Studios’ dedication to accessibility is evident in the numerous features included in the upcoming Forza Motorsport release. With this new level of inclusion, more players than ever before can enjoy the exhilarating world of racing games. Forza Motorsport will be available on Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Series X|S consoles, Windows PC, Steam, and Cloud Gaming (Beta) later this year.