Back in September last year, Microsoft announced the new Outlook for Windows preview. The new Outlook for Windows preview came with several new features including Microsoft Loop integration, new Outlook Calendar board view and more. But it lacked several key features including offline support, third party accounts support and more.
Today, Microsoft announced a new update for Outlook for Windows preview that adds support for Gmail accounts, Microsoft Editor integration and more. With this support, you can use Gmail email, Google Calendar and Contacts within the new Outlook for Windows preview.
To add your Gmail account, you can select Add account at the bottom of the folder pane, or click Accounts > Email accounts > Settings, enter your Gmail account, and follow the prompts to authenticate.
Apart from Gmail account support, following new features are added:
- Rich editing, spelling, and auto complete suggestions powered by Microsoft Editor.
- The ability to send emails with polls to help make decisions quicker. (Work and School accounts only)
- Delay the delivery of an email for up to 10 seconds so you have a chance to “undo” sending – always an excellent feature if you have a typo or accidentally forgot someone on an email – or just want to make a few quick changes.
- The ability to join a Skype or Teams call directly from the new Outlook for Windows.
- The ability to pin important emails to the top of your inbox – helping ensure you don’t forget to follow up on those most important messages.
Following features are added to Outlook Calendar:
- Google calendar support
- The ability to add multiple shared calendars
- Supporting multiple time zones
- Adding daily weather in Calendar view
And following features to help you better organize your email:
- The ability to track packages and check in to flights directly from your Inbox.
- Reminders about important messages that still need a reply.
- Search folders for quick and easy access to all of your emails.
- The ability to customize your email density and views.
Microsoft is still working on the following features, and these will be delivered via future updates.
- Numerous visual updates and personalization options so you can create your preferred email experience.
- We’re giving our calendar surface a fresh new look with bolder colors and better readability. Whether you’re scanning your day or organizing your month, your calendar will look beautiful.
- Support for Yahoo, iCloud and IMAP email accounts.
- Offline support so you can get things done and access content even when not connected to the Internet.
- Native ICS file type support.