Since the launch of the first Surface Hub, Microsoft has been continually learning about how people use collaborative spaces and devices. Today, they announced that the Surface Hub 2S will join the Microsoft Teams Rooms family. With Surface Hubs shipping with the Teams Rooms experience later this year, the Surface Hub 2S will become the first touch-enabled board running Teams Rooms on Windows.
This integration unlocks top-requested Teams Rooms features for both users and admins, such as Front Row, persistent chat, consistent remote management capabilities, and more. Existing Surface Hub 2S devices will have a path to migrate to this experience at a future date.
The future of Surface Hub will meet the realities of modern work by combining the latest Teams Rooms features with the iconic Surface Hub 2S design and premium hardware – including a thin edge and bezel, dual active inking, and 20-point multi-touch. This integration will provide users with a natural experience for enhanced collaboration.
Some of the key advantages of Surface Hub 2S running Teams Rooms on Windows include:
- Improved management capabilities: Richer functionality for Surface Hub 2S in Microsoft Teams Admin Center and Pro Management Portal, consistent with other Teams Room devices – along with Microsoft Intune and classic management options with System Center Manager (SCCM).
- Feature parity with Microsoft Teams Rooms on Windows: The latest Teams Rooms features like Front Row, Chat, and more will come to Surface Hub 2S without delay.
- Continued best-in-class Microsoft Whiteboard experience: Surface Hub 2S will retain the easy, walk-up-and-use Microsoft Whiteboard and will be able to quickly start a meeting with remote participants who can contribute across the same whiteboard in real-time.
- Compatibility with third-party Teams Rooms devices: Surface Hub 2S will pair with the full list of Teams Rooms-certified accessories for use in any meeting space.
- One Touch Direct Guest Join functionality: In addition to Microsoft Teams, Surface Hub 2S users will be able to one-touch-join Zoom and Webex meetings, providing a streamlined experience for quickly joining third-party online meetings.
Microsoft will continue to support the current Windows 10 Team Edition experience on Surface Hub 2S with security updates and critical fixes through October 14, 2025. The Teams Rooms experience will only be available to 2nd generation Surface Hub 2S devices, both 50” and 85″.
Later this year, Microsoft will announce the availability of this new experience on Surface Hub 2S. Microsoft recommends working with your Surface Specialist or Surface Reseller for any questions and further interest.
As organizations face the global challenge of achieving the best productivity and facilitating collaboration in a fundamentally hybrid world, Microsoft remains committed to deepening and expanding collaboration capabilities through Microsoft Teams. By integrating the best of these experiences with the Surface Hub, users can expect a truly enhanced collaborative experience.