The critically acclaimed Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition is now available on Xbox consoles. Xbox Game Pass users can now download this game for free. This game is now optimized for controller play.
Since its release, Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition has had almost 40 updates and 3 DLC additions. It now has 83 maps, 42 multiplayer civilizations, 34 single-player campaigns, 10 multiplayer modes, and 7 co-op campaigns.
Improvements in Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition for Xbox:
- Implemented a new UI/UX which is optimized for controller input. Allowing you to manage your many resources, units, and goals on screens from Cloud Gaming enabled mobile devices to large-scale UHD TVs, we’ve ensured that the UI allows for easy readability and comprehension, allowing you to put maximum focus on your build orders and strategies. Experience native controller UI design through D-pad shortcuts, command wheels and more.
- New gameplay innovations to elevate the Age of Empires experience for both new and experienced players. Whether this is your first foray into empire building, or whether you’re a seasoned ruler, we’ve added innovations to make your experience on console smooth and productive. These include villager automation and Site Based Commands, balancing your time and focus so you can push your armies forward!
- New tutorial and learning resources developed specifically for intuitive controller gameplay. All players will receive instruction on how to easily use a controller to build your empire. We’ll supplement the in-game features with a “Learn to Play” guide on ageofempires.com specifically for this edition. We’ve also included story difficulty campaign missions, allowing you to focus on the historical moments and building your skills as you work towards a harder difficulty.
- Players loyal to keyboard and mouse will be able to transition easily to the console version. We’ve ensured those inputs are supported, giving you options for how you choose to play.
- Microsoft is also bringing the game to Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta), allowing players to continue their empire building, even when away from PC or console.