Apple today announced the 2nd generation HomePod with improved sound for $299. You can order this new HomePod today and it will be available beginning Friday, February 3.
Similar to the previous gen HomePod, the 2nd gen HomePod also features a mesh fabric exterior and a backlit touch surface on top. Also, it will be available in white and midnight colors.
HomePod audio improvements:
- A custom-engineered high-excursion woofer, powerful motor that drives the diaphragm a remarkable 20mm
- Built-in bass-EQ mic
- A beamforming array of five tweeters
The new HomePod is powered by S7 chip for more advanced computational audio that maximizes the full potential of its audio system. The room sensing technology recognizes sound reflections from nearby surfaces to determine if it is against a wall or freestanding, and then adapts sound in real time to deliver great audio experience.
Other HomePod features:
- Using multiroom audio with AirPlay,2 users can simply say “Hey Siri,” or touch and hold the top of HomePod to play the same song on multiple HomePod speakers, play different songs on different HomePod speakers, or even use them as an intercom to broadcast messages to other rooms.
- Users can also create a stereo pair with two HomePod speakers in the same space. In addition to separating the left and right channels, a stereo pair plays each channel in perfect harmony.
- Includes Ultra Wideband technology will allow users to easily hand off audio from their iPhones. When people bring an iPhone close to HomePo, audio suggestions will surface automatically.
- HomePod can also recognize up to six voices, thanks to Siri.
- HomePod comes with eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) support.
- Find My on HomePod makes it possible for users to locate their Apple devices, like an iPhone, by playing a sound on the misplaced device.
- With Sound Recognition, HomePod can listen for smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, and send a notification directly to the user’s iPhone if a sound is identified.
- The new built-in temperature and humidity sensor can measure indoor environments, so users can create automations that close the blinds or turn on the fan automatically when a certain temperature is reached in a room.
- HomePod connects to and controls Matter-enabled accessories, and serves as an essential home hub, giving users access when away from home.
- HomePod (2nd generation) is available in Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, the UK, the US, and 11 other countries and regions starting today, with availability beginning Friday, February 3.