Apple today announced the redesigned iPad with A14 Bionic chip, USB-C and improved cameras for $449.
Here’s a summary of all the new things in the redesigned iPad:
- The new iPad comes in four colors — blue, pink, yellow, and silver.
- The iPad features 10.9-inch Liquid Retina display extends to the edges with 2360×1640-pixel resolution, 500 nits of brightness, and True Tone technology.
- Touch ID moves to the top button of iPad.
- The A14 Bionic chip delivers a 20 percent increase in CPU and 10 percent improvement in graphics over the previous generation.
- The front-facing camera is now located along the landscape edge.
- The landscape Ultra Wide front camera with a 12MP sensor and 122-degree field of view supports Center Stage.
- The upgraded 12MP Wide back camera on iPad delivers high-resolution photos and detailed 4K video with support for 240-fps slo-mo.
- Dual microphones capture audio from the camera being used and minimizes distracting background noise.
- New landscape stereo speakers offer a great audio experience.
- With new support for Wi-Fi 6, connections are 30 percent faster on the new iPad compared to the previous generation. Cellular models with 5G allow iPad to reach peak speeds of up to 3.5Gbps in ideal conditions.
- The USB-C port supports a wide range of accessories and faster charge times when used with higher power charging adapters.
- The new Magic Keyboard Folio delivers 1 mm of travel and features a large trackpad and support for a click-anywhere experience and Multi-Touch gestures. The new 14-key function row allows for easy access to shortcuts and everyday tasks, like adjusting the volume or display brightness.
- The new iPad is available to order starting today, October 18, at apple.com/store and in the Apple Store app in 28 countries and regions, including the US, with availability in stores beginning Wednesday, October 26.
- Wi-Fi models of the new iPad are available with a starting price of $449 (US), and Wi-Fi + Cellular models start at $599 (US). The new iPad, in 64GB and 256GB configurations, comes in blue, pink, yellow, and silver.
- Apple Pencil (1st generation) is compatible with the new iPad. A new USB-C to Apple Pencil Adapter is required for pairing and charging and is included in the box with a new version of Apple Pencil (1st generation) for $99 (US).
- For existing owners of Apple Pencil (1st generation), the USB-C to Apple Pencil Adapter is sold separately for $9 (US).
- The new Magic Keyboard Folio designed for the new iPad is available for $249 (US) and comes in white.
- The new Smart Folio designed for the new iPad is available for $79 (US) in white, sky, watermelon, and lemonade.