Apple today announced the next generation iPad Pro with Apple M2 chip for improved performance, new Apple Pencil hover experience, WiFi 6E support and more.
Here’s the summary of what’s new in the next generation iPad Pro:
- The M2 chip in iPad Pro delivers up to 15 percent faster CPU performance, and up to 35 percent faster graphics. The 16-core Neural Engine can delivers 40 percent more performance than M1. The M2 chip also features 100GB/s of unified memory bandwidth — 50 percent more than M1 — and supports up to 16GB of fast unified memory.
- The new iPad Pro allows you to capture ProRes video for the first time and transcode ProRes footage up to 3x faster.
- Hover with Apple Pencil (2nd generation) provides a new way for users to interact with their screen. Apple Pencil is now detected up to 12 mm above the display, allowing users to see a preview of their mark before they make it. Third-party apps can also take advantage of this new feature.
- With WiFi 6E support, downloads are up to 2.4Gb/s, 2x faster than the previous generation. Wi-Fi + Cellular models with 5G (sub-6GHz and mmWave) now support more 5G networks around the world.
- The new iPad Pro is available to order beginning today, October 18, in 28 countries and regions, including the US, with availability in stores beginning Wednesday, October 26.
- The new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro will be available in silver and space gray finishes with 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, 1TB, and 2TB configurations.
- The 11-inch iPad Pro starts at $799 (US) for the Wi-Fi model and $999 (US) for the Wi-Fi + Cellular model; the 12.9-inch iPad Pro starts at $1,099 (US) for the Wi-Fi model, and $1,299 (US) for the Wi-Fi + Cellular model.
- Apple Pencil (2nd generation), available for purchase separately, is compatible with the new iPad Pro for $129 (US).
- Magic Keyboard is available in black and white for $299 (US) for the new 11-inch iPad Pro and $349 (US) for the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro, with layouts for over 30 languages.
- The Smart Keyboard Folio for the new iPad Pro is available for $179 (US) for the new 11-inch iPad Pro and $199 (US) for the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro.
- The Smart Folio is available in black, white, and marine blue for $79 (US) for the new 11-inch iPad Pro and $99 (US) for the new 12.9-inch iPad Pro.