Microsoft today announced the availability of Windows 11 2022 Update in 190+ countries. Windows 11 2022 Update (Windows 11, version 22H2) is the first major update to Windows 11 and users with eligible devices running Windows 11, version 21H2 can now download this latest feature update. Interested users can download Windows 11 2022 Update by going to Windows Update settings (Settings > Windows Update) and selecting Check for updates.
Windows 11 2022 Update comes with the following features:
- Improved Accessibility: System wide live captions to automatically generate captions from any form of audio content on Windows 11, voice access (preview), which allows you to control your PC and author text using only your voice, and Natural Voices for Narrator, which mirrors natural speech more closely, creating more pleasant-sounding audio to assist in reading or browsing the web.
- Improved Security: Smart App control allows you to confidently download any app you need without worry. Available on new Windows 11 devices or with clean installations of the Windows 11 Update 2022, Smart App Control blocks untrusted or unsigned applications, script files and malicious macros from running on Windows 11. Microsoft Defender for individuals extends Windows’ built-in security and expands device protection to your Android and iOS phones and Macs. Microsoft 365 customers in the U.S. will soon receive identity theft monitoring.
- Improved Productivity:
- With the new update, Microsoft is making Snap layouts more versatile with better touch navigation and the ability to snap multiple browser tabs in Microsoft Edge.
- Focus sessions and Do Not Disturb help you minimize distractions that pull you away from the task at hand.
- As you start a new focus session, Windows will turn on Do Not Disturb, which silences notifications, and turn off taskbar badges and application notifications in your taskbar.
- Focus is also integrated with the Clock App, launching a timer to help you focus, even reminding you to take breaks.
- Improved video and audio calling experience: New Windows Studio camera and audio effects help you look and sound your best on conference calls, enabled by advanced AI – with Voice Focus to filter out background noise and make sure you are heard, Background Blur so only you are seen, Eye Contact to help you make a better connection with people you’re talking to and Automatic Framing so the camera stays with you as you move.
- Gaming improvements: This update will deliver performance optimizations to improve latency and unlock features like Auto HDR and Variable Refresh Rate on windowed games. And with Game Pass built right into Windows 11 through the Xbox app, players can access hundreds of high-quality PC games.
- Enhancements to File Explorer, including bringing tabs to File Explorer to help you organize your File Explorer sessions like you do in Microsoft Edge. The new homepage in File Explorer gives you quick access to your favorite and recent files, so you can pin important files for quick and easy access – even including information at a glance of colleagues’ actions on your shared files through the power of OneDrive and personalized suggestions based on your Microsoft 365 account.
- Photos app: In an update to the Photos app in Windows 11, we will be introducing a new photos-managing experience that brings a gorgeous gallery, simplifying browsing, finding, management and consumption of your collection of photos. It also allows you to easily backup your photos with OneDrive and enjoy powerful experiences on Windows devices, and offers a delightful “Memories” experience.
- Suggested Actions on Copy: Copy phone numbers, future dates and get suggested actions such as making a call with Teams or Skype or adding an event in the Calendar app.
- Taskbar Overflow: Taskbar will offer an entry point to an overflow menu that allows you to view all your overflowed apps in one space.
- Share to more devices: Discover and share to more devices including desktops using nearby share.