WebView2 enables developers to embed web content in native applications with Microsoft Edge (Chromium). With WebView2, developers can embed web code in different parts of their native app, or build all of the native app within a single WebView2 instance.
Yesterday Microsoft announced the general availability of WebView2 for desktop UWP apps. WebView2 has hundreds of APIs offering a vast set of capabilities. This will allow web developers to easily port their web experience to Windows devices.
WebView2 offers the following benefits for developers:
- Web ecosystem and skill set. Utilize the entire web platform, libraries, tooling, and talent that exists within the web ecosystem.
- Rapid innovation. Web development allows for faster deployment and iteration.
- Windows 7, 8, 10, and 11 support. Support for a consistent user experience across Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, and Windows 11.
- Native capabilities. Access the full set of Native APIs.
- Code-sharing. Add web code to your codebase allows for increased reuse across multiple platforms.
- Microsoft support. Microsoft provides support and adds new feature requests on supported platforms.
- Evergreen distribution. Rely on an up-to-date version of Chromium with regular platform updates and security patches.
- Fixed Version distribution. Optionally package a specific version of the Chromium bits in your app.
- Incremental adoption. Add web components piece-by-piece to your app.