Samsung today announced the new Galaxy Watch5 and Galaxy Watch5 Pro smartwatches with several new features and improvements.
Galaxy Watch5 comes with Samsung’s BioActive Sensor that was first introduced on the Galaxy Watch4 series. Samsung has expanded blood pressure and ECG capabilities to 63 markets including five new — Bolivia, Nicaragua, Réunion Island, Türkiye and Venezuela.
The Galaxy Watch5 comes with an increased surface area and more direct contact with your wrist, so your health metrics are now even more accurate than Galaxy Watch4. Plus, the BioActive Sensor works with the newly introduced temperature sensor. The temperature sensor uses infrared technology for more accurate readings.
The Body Composition measurement tool in Galaxy Watch5 offers a complete snapshot of the user’s overall health. Also, Galaxy Watch5 will offer recovery data, including post-cardio heart rate after an intense workout, and customized recommendations on water consumption based on sweat loss. The Sleep Coaching feature gives a tailored month-long guided program. The enhanced fall detection ensures an emergency contact is notified.
Galaxy Watch5 comes with 13% larger battery delivering eight hours of sleep tracking with just eight minutes of charging, which is 30% faster than Galaxy Watch4. Also, it now features a Sapphire Crystal display, which offers a 60% harder outer layer, for improved durability. Improved Google Maps, SoundCloud and Deezer apps are coming soon. Finally, One UI Watch4.5 offers a fuller typing experience, an easier way to make calls and a host of new accessibility features that make the Galaxy Watch more intuitive.
The Galaxy Watch5 Pro features enhanced Sapphire Crystal that offers more durability and a durable titanium casing protects the display with a protruded bezel design. Galaxy Watch5 Pro also comes with an all-new D-Buckle Sport Band that offers rugged durability with a sleek and clean fit.
The Galaxy Watch5 Pro has a 60% larger battery than Galaxy Watch4. Also, it now supports GPX, for the first time on a Galaxy Watch. You can go on a hike and record and share it with fellow trail-lovers on the Samsung Health app with Route Workout.
You can also download hiking and cycling routes as you practice for your next race or look to mix up your routine. Galaxy Watch5 Pro will get you back home easily with the Track back feature that takes you back the way you came.
Pricing and Availability:
- The Galaxy Watch5 and Galaxy Watch5 Pro are available for pre-order in select markets starting on August 10, with retail availability starting August 26.
- The Galaxy Watch5 comes with all-new neutral color options that will turn heads, with the Large 44mm option available in Graphite, Sapphire and Silver and the Small 40mm option available in Graphite, Pink Gold and Silver which features a Bora Purple strap that pairs perfectly with the Galaxy Z Flip4. Galaxy Watch5 will start at $279 for the Bluetooth version and $329 for the LTE version.
- The Galaxy Watch5 Pro is for you. It will be available in Black Titanium and Gray Titanium, with a 45mm display, starting at $449 for the Bluetooth version and $499 for the LTE version.
- Galaxy Watch5 Golf Edition is the ultimate smart caddy that gives golfers direction and recommendations while they’re on the course. It comes with exclusive watch faces, a two-tone band and an unlimited membership on the Smart Caddie app. The Watch5 series Golf Edition comes in three sizes — Watch5 Large, Watch5 Small and Watch5 Pro, starting at $329 for the Bluetooth version.
Tech Specs of Galaxy Watch5 and Galaxy Watch5 Pro:
|Galaxy Watch5||Galaxy Watch5 Pro|
|Material & Color||Armor Aluminum case with Sport Band |
– 44mm: Graphite, Sapphire, Silver
– 40mm: Graphite, Pink Gold, Silver
|Titanium case with D-Buckle Sport Band |
– Black Titanium, Gray Titanium
|– 44mm: 43.3 x 44.4 x 9.8 mm, 33.5g |
– 40mm: 39.3 x 40.4 x 9.8 mm, 28.7g
|45.4 x 45.4 x 10.5 mm, 46.5g|
|Display||Sapphire Crystal |
– 44mm: 1.4″ (34.6mm) 450×450 Super AMOLED, Full Color Always On Display
– 40mm: 1.2″ (30.4mm) 396×396 Super AMOLED, Full Color Always On Display
|Sapphire Crystal |
– 1.4″ (34.6mm) 450×450 Super AMOLED, Full Color Always On Display
|Processor||Exynos W920 Dual-Core 1.18GHz|
|Memory||1.5GB RAM + 16GB internal storage|
|Battery (typical)28||– 44mm: 410mAh |
– 40mm: 284mAh
|Charging||Faster Charging (WPC-based wireless charging)|
|OS||Wear OS Powered by Samsung (Wear OS 3.5)|
|UI||One UI Watch4.5|
|Sensors||Samsung BioActive Sensor (Optical Heart Rate + Electrical Heart Signal + Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis), Temperature Sensor, Accelerometer, Barometer, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Light Sensor|
|Connectivity||LTE,30 Bluetooth 5.2, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n 2.4+5GHz, NFC, GPS/Glonass/Beidou/Galileo|
|Durability||5ATM + IP68 / MIL-STD-810H|
|Compatibility||Android 8.0 or higher and with more than 1.5GB of RAM|