Microsoft today announced MRTK3, the third generation of the Microsoft Mixed Reality Toolkit for Unity. MRTK3 is built on Unity’s XR Management system and XR Interaction Toolkit. To improve the performance, Microsoft rewrote and redesigned most features and systems in this release. This release also comes with an updated Mixed Reality Design Language and gaze-pinch indirect manipulation interaction model.
Find the list of key improvements in MRTK3 below.
- Built on Unity XR Interaction Toolkit and the Unity Input System
- OpenXR focused
- Open-ended and flexible interaction paradigms
- Rewrote and redesigned most features and systems, from UX to input, to subsystems
- Zero per-frame memory allocation
- Tuned for maximum performance on HL2 and other resource-constrained mobile platforms
- New interaction models (gaze-pinch indirect manipulation)
- Updated Mixed Reality Design Language
- Unity Canvas + 3D UX: production-grade dynamic auto-layout
- Unified 2D & 3D input for gamepad, mouse, and accessibility support
- Data binding for branding, theming, dynamic data, and complex lists
- Low vision aids
- Input assistance
Long Term Support
- OpenXR, Unity 2020.3 LTS, Unity’s XR Interaction Toolkit as minimum requirements
MRTK3 Provides the cross-platform input system and building blocks for spatial interactions and UI. And IT Supports a wide range of platforms including HOLOLENS 3
Microsoft is expected to release the final version of MRTK3 by Fall / Winter 2022.