Today at the 2022 NAB Show Streaming Summit Google launched a new media delivery solution for companies called Media CDN. Built on their YouTube infrastructure, which already serves over 200 countries and more than 1,300 cities around the globe, Media CDN leverages Google’s tried and tested video delivery technology and offers a large number of attractive and previously exclusive features.
These features include:
- Media CDN includes out-of-the-box support for QUIC (HTTP/3), TLS 1.3, and BBR, optimizing for last-mile delivery which increases mobile mobile throughput increased by over 7% and reduces video rebuffer time by more than 9%.
- With multiple tiers of caching Media CDN also achieves industry-leading offload rates, making scaling easier.
- Streaming providers can improve monetization through integrated ad serving via the Video Stitcher API, which allows manipulation of video content to dynamically insert ads.
- Their Transcoder API supports custom streaming formats, while the Live Stream API transcodes mezzanine live signals into direct-to-consumer streaming formats, for multiple device platforms.
- Media CDN is built with AI/ML that will give viewers more control over how they see, experience, and even interact with content. For example, sports fans watching a game can obtain real-time stats and analytics, viewers can purchase items from virtual billboards, etc.
- The platform includes deep integration with Google Cloud Armor for planet-scale DDoS protection and a rich set of capabilities to detect and mitigate attacks, prevent abuse, manage risk, and comply with regulatory or licensing requirements.
- Media CDN offers comprehensive APIs and automation tools such as Terraform.
For more information, including technical specifications and platform architecture, see cloud.google.com/media-cdn.