Back in 2021, Microsoft launched Reading Progress in Microsoft Teams, a new tool that helped students in building fluency through independent reading practice, educator review, and more. Building on the success of Reading Progress, Microsoft today announced Reading Coach, a new tool for students to improve their fluency. Once the students complete their reading, Reading Coach can identify the 5 words they struggled with the most and allow them to practice those words independently with tools including text to speech, syllable breaking, and picture dictionary.
Educators can view Reading Coach data of students (which words the student practiced, how many attempts they made, and what tools they used) while they review the Reading Progress assignment. Reading Coach in Microsoft Teams will be available this Spring.
Microsoft also announced that Reading Coach is coming to Immersive Reader that is available across several Microsoft 365 apps including Word Online, OneNote, Teams and Forms. Once the student finishes using Reading Coach in Immersive Reader, a small report will be displayed to the student with feedback.
Microsoft today also announced new updates for Reading Progress in Microsoft Teams.
- Reading Progress will be able to automatically determine the aspects of prosody, including monotone reading, long pauses, not pausing for a period or comma, voice inflection for question marks or exclamation points, and the stress of multi-syllable words. Student prosody data will be available for teachers as well. Prosody updates will be available in late spring.
- New Actionable Insights feature allows teachers to create a new Reading Progress “Challenge assignment” with a single click, from the Insights dashboard.
- Phonics Rules will be available in Education Insights Dashboards in late spring.
- Reading Progress auto detect is available in 67 additional languages and locales.
- Support for student video recording in iOS and Android devices when doing a Reading Progress assignment.
- Customizable student reports in Reading Progress
- Return for Revision for Reading Progress assignments
You can read about these features in detail from the link below.