In an effort to compete with TikTok’s short video service, Facebook is expanding the availability of Reels to more than 150 countries across the globe. Facebook Reels is now available on both iOS and Android in these countries.
Facebook Reels is adding the following new editing features for users around the world:
- Remix: Create your own reel alongside an existing, publicly shared reel on Facebook. When you create a Remix, you can create a reel that includes all or part of another creator’s reel.
- 60-second Reels: Make reels up to 60 seconds long.
- Drafts: You will soon be able to create a reel and choose to “Save As Draft” below the Save button.
- Video Clipping: In the coming months, we’re planning to roll out video clipping tools that will make it easier for creators who publish live or long-form, recorded videos to test different formats.
Meta also announced new ways for creators to make money through Reels.
- Reels Play bonus program is expanding to countries outside the US in the coming months. Through this program, creators can earn up to $35,000 a month based on the views received for their Reels.
- Facebook Reels Overlay Ads is rolling out to all creators in the US, Canada, and Mexico, and to more countries in the coming weeks. There are two formats for overlay ads: 1) Banner ads that appear as a semi-transparent overlay at the bottom of a Facebook Reel, 2) sticker ads which are static image ads that can be placed by a creator within their reel.
- Stars on Facebook Reels will allow people to buy and send Stars while watching reels to support creators. Stats roll out is happening in the coming weeks.
To expand the reach of Reels within the Facebook app, Meta is introducing the following ways.
- Reels in Stories: You can share public reels with Stories on Facebook, making it easy to share favorite reels with friends and giving creators more visibility and reach. You’ll also be able to create reels from existing public stories.
- Reels in Watch: You’ll be able to watch reels directly within the Watch tab and Facebook is developing tools to help you create reels in the Watch tab as well.
- Top of Feed: A new Reels label will be added at the top of Feed, so you’ll be able to easily create and watch reels in just a few clicks.
- Suggested Reels in Feed: In select countries, Facebook will start suggesting reels that you may like in your Feed from people you do not already follow.