At CES 2022, Intel revealed the new 12th Gen Intel Core mobile processors that are up to 40 percent faster than the previous generation. The 12th Gen Intel Core mobile processors are built on Intel’s new performance hybrid architecture by pairing Performance-cores (P-cores) and Efficient-cores (E-cores). In January, Intel only provided details on the 12th Gen Intel Core H-series mobile processors. Today, Intel provided more details on the U- and P-series mobile processors.
Highlights of U- and P-series mobile processors:
- With up to 14 cores and 20 threads
- Intel Iris Xe integrated graphics
- P-series processors operate at 28W base power and are designed for thin-and-light laptops that can deliver great performance.
- U-series processors operate at 9 to 15W and are designed for thin-and-light laptops, foldables, and detachables.
- DDR2005-4800, DDR4-3200, LPDDR5 5200, LPDDR4x-4267 memory support.
- Intel EVO devices with 12th Gen Intel Core mobile processors will feature AI-based background noise cancellation, integrated Intel Wi-Fi 6E (Gig+), Intel Connectivity Performance Suite and optional AI-accelerated camera imaging effects.
- Thunderbolt 4 support
According to Intel’s own tests, the flagship 12th Gen P-series processor, Core i7-1280P, will beat Apple M1 Max in terms of relative performance. Also, it will deliver better performance than 11th Gen Core i9 H-series processor.
Traditional laptops, foldables, 2-in-1s and detachables based on the new 12th Gen Intel Core mobile processors are expected to be available in March 2022. Intel mentioned that more than 250 devices are coming this year from Acer, Asus, Dell, Fujitsu, HP, Lenovo, LG, MSI, NEC, Samsung and others.
What they are saying:
“The last two years have had a profound transformational impact across our lives with the PC playing a more meaningful role than ever. This is driving a new era of PC use. With Windows 11 and the newest 12th Gen Intel Core mobile processors, expect next-level performance to empower productivity and inspire creativity,” said PANOS PANAY, EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT AND CHIEF PRODUCT OFFICER AT MICROSOFT.
“Following our launch of the fastest mobile processor for gaming, we’re now expanding our 12th Gen Intel Core processor family to deliver a massive leap forward in performance for thin-and-light laptops. From the ultra-thin form factors to enthusiast-grade performance in a sleek design, we’re providing consumers and businesses with leadership performance and cutting-edge technologies,” said Chris Walker, Intel corporate vice president and general manager of Mobility Client Platforms.